This article is part 3 in my series on adding content to AutoCAD Electrical.
- Create your set of symbols
- Add the data to the catalog database
- Add your symbol to the icon menu and Catalog Browser
- Insert the symbol
Adding a Symbol to the Icon Menu
Note: If you always insert your symbols from the Catalog Browser you do not need to do this.
Use the Icon Menu Wizard to add new pages and components to the Icon Menu.
I know I eventually will add a family of symbols, so first I'll add a new submenu page.
Since I created an image when making my symbol (earlier post), I can use that for the page image.
After clicking OK I can see my new page at the end.
Now I need to add the individual symbol(s).
- Double-click the new icon so it opens the new blank page.
- Select Component on the Add drop-down menu.
- Then enter the name, icon, and symbol on the dialog.
- Repeat adding Components for any other symbols that you want to include on this same page. You don't need to add both the horizontal and vertical versions.
- Once you OK out of the Icon Menu Wizard and open the actual Icon Menu, you'll see that your new submenu and components are there.
For more information see the Help topic, To Work With the Icon Menu Wizard.
Adding Symbols to the Catalog Browser
There are a couple of ways to add symbols to the Catalog Browser so that when you pick a catalog value you are presented with the symbols for insertion. Both methods require that the record be visible in the browser. So make sure you do a search on the browser so the catalog record is available.
Method 1: Symbol is on the Icon Menu
When you click a catalog record the menu displays. Since no symbols are associated to the record it looks like this –
- Click the button that opens the Icon Menu from the browser.
- Navigate to the symbol you want to associate to the catalog record and select it.
- Select to map the symbol.
- Next time you select this record on the browser, the symbol can be inserted without going into the icon menu.
Method 2: Edit Catalog Database to Add Symbol
- Go into Edit Mode on the browser.
- Scroll over to the SYMBOL2D column.
- Click once in the field and click the browse button that displays.
- Enter the symbol names for each symbol you want to associate to the catalog. If you created both the horizontal and vertical versions, make sure to add both. Once you OK, the values are added in the syntax needed for the Catalog Browser.
- If you are also using Inventor, you can add a 3D part in the SYMBOL3D field. Then, when you use the Catalog Browser in Inventor you can insert your electrical part.
- Click to save your changes.