This article is part 4, the final installment in my series on adding content to AutoCAD Electrical.
- Create your set of symbols
- Add the data to the catalog database
- Add your symbol to the icon menu and Catalog Browser
- Insert the symbol
In the previous article I looked at adding the symbols to the icon menu and Catalog Browser. So now we are ready to insert the symbol.
Insert Symbol from Icon Menu
- Open the Icon Menu, Schematic tab > Insert Components pane > Icon Menu.
- Locate and select your symbol.
- Your symbol is attached to your cursor, making it easy to insert.
- Once you select the location, the appropriate Insert\Edit dialog opens. The Tag is automatically assigned based on the Drawing Properties settings.
- Click Lookup and assign the catalog value as needed.
- Click OK. If everything goes as expected, wires break as needed.
Insert Symbol from Catalog Browser
- If the Catalog Browser isn't open, click Schematic tab > Insert Components panel > Catalog Browser.
You may need to expand the Icon Menu drop-down to find this command. The Catalog Browser can remain open all the time if you use it often. You can use other commands while it is open.
- Search for your catalog value.
Click the record in the browser. The menu with any associated symbols displays.
If you associated multiple symbols, the menu shows them all.
- Click the symbol and select the location.
- The symbols is inserted and the Insert\Edit dialog opens. The catalog value is already assigned since it was inserted from the Catalog Browser.
- Add any other values needed and click OK.