So you've started using the new Catalog Browser and your first question is – "I picked a catalog value, where's the symbol to insert?". Good question. The catalog database does not come with symbols mapped to each and every record. And even if there was a symbol mapped to every record it might not be the symbol you want. So to get the most out of the Catalog Browser, you need to get the symbols you want mapped to the catalog records you use.
Mapping a symbol to a catalog record can happen as you work:
- Click the catalog record.
- The symbol you need is not associated to it, yet.
- Click the conveniently located icon menu button.
- Select and insert the symbol.
- When you see this prompt,
pick to map the symbol, and if you are like me and never want to see that prompt again, first check the handy "Do not show me this again" box**.
- Next time you select that catalog, the symbol is available.
If the symbol has horizontal and vertical versions, they are both added. Remember, AutoCAD Electrical automatically uses the correct symbol orientation if you insert the symbol on a wire. You only need to worry about which one you pick when you insert the symbol into empty space.
You can map as many symbols as you like to a catalog record as shown here for a control relay.
Here is another way a symbol is mapped to a catalog record:
- Edit a component and assign a catalog value to it.
- Select to map the symbol (or if you checked the box this prompt doesn't pop up)
Or if you are the person everyone else comes to saying, "Something is wrong with my Catalog Browser, the #@$%& symbol I want isn't there":
- Use the Catalog Browser's edit mode and quickly enter\copy\paste symbols into every record.
The faster your catalog database gets populated with the symbols you use, the more efficient you become.
**A little more on the "Do not show me this again" check box.
The idea is that you check the box, then pick the option that you want AutoCAD Electrical to do all the time. So if you want it to always map the symbol, check the box then click "Map symbol to catalog number".
To turn any of these hidden prompts on again:
- Run the OPTIONS command.
- Select the Systems tab.
- Click Hidden Messages Settings.
- Check the box for any hidden messages you want to make visible.
See the Help topic, Hidden Message Settings Dialog Box, for more information on hidden messages.